Why is Physical Activity Important?
Physical activity offers lots of benefits! Here are eight key reasons to get active.
- Decrease risk of disease
- Feel great physically
- Look better
- Sleep better
- Live longer—up to five years according to the American Journal of Preventative Medicine!
- Keep in shape so you can enjoy leisure activities
- Avoid injury and safely perform work and home chores
- Increase mental and social wellbeing
- The last point is especially interesting. According to studies in the Lancet physical activity brings “a sense of purpose and value, a better quality of life, improved sleep, and reduced stress, as well as stronger relationships and social connectedness.”
Sitting Is Dangerous
Lack of physical activity is associated with increased risks of:
- Anxiety, stress, and feelings of depression
- Developing many preventable conditions, such as high blood pressure, coronary heart diseases, diabetes, osteoporosis, colon cancer, and obesity
- Dying prematurely
Researchers even suggest that the sedentary lifestyle so common in our culture is more deadly than smoking. They believe that 6-10% of the world’s non-communicable diseases (such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain kinds of cancer) are caused by physical inactivity.